Friday, July 29, 2011

Break Out the Skinny Jeans

Motivation
1. giving of reason to act: the act of giving somebody a reason or incentive to do something
2. enthusiasm: a feeling of enthusiasm, interest, or commitment that makes somebody want to do something, or something that causes such a feeling
3. reason: a reason for doing something or behaving in a particular way

I finally got motivated to do something about my #1 New Year's Resolution, just in time for August. Over the past two months, I've managed to finally drop ten pounds. It's been nine years since I started my weight loss journey, and dropped 125 pounds in 23 months. After a tummy tuck took off another ten pounds, I had lost a total of 135. I kept it off for a long time, but slowly put about 36 pounds back on.

Turns out, that was my motivation. I watched the scales slowly creep back up, but couldn't seem to get myself back on track. But 36, as it turns out, was the magic number. That meant that I was only 99 pounds lower than my highest weight. There's something about being able to say, "I lost a hundred pounds" that just makes jaws drop. 99 doesn't seem like such a big deal.

And so I have 26 pounds to go. At 5 pounds a month, I could easily be back at my target weight by the New Year. We'll see. If anything, I've learned that this journey is one that I can only take a day at a time.

Now. Where are the rice cakes?