Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Slamming on the Brakes

I'm putting the brakes on.

Something is dreadfully wrong when I can't get "into" Christmas. I've been a Christmas junky for years. My yard used to look like a airport runway every Christmas season. You couldn't walk around the interior of the house without bumping into Rudolph. I played Santa for ten years. My Christmas CD collection numbers over one hundred.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not getting all "Ebenezer Scrooge" over Christmas. I've poured hours into my sermon series for Christmas, prayed over it like never before, all the time working and sweating over our Live Nativity presentation at church. This much, I've enjoyed. The giving and making Christmas meaningful for my friends, family and community has been a joy. It's everything else that feels like a drag.

I have no ambition for decorating around the house. I've sold or given away most of the outdoor decorations, and gave away the Santa costume. The Christmas music I used to break out in September stayed in the closet all of last year, and I've hardly touched it this year. No interest. I sold off most of the Rudolph collection at a garage sale. It just seemed all so... cluttery.

So, I'm taking a break, because I think what's bothering me is the constant barrage of greed. It's selfish and angry shoppers, debates over Christmas vs. Holidays, lack of respect for others, etc. I could go on, but you get the point. I need a break from the cruelty and foolishness of social networking. I need a break from television commercials, and the same old blather on radio. I'm tired of talking M&M's, bell-ringing chocolate kisses and Peter in that awful red sweater coming home to a cup of Folgers. What I need is to read and re-read Luke Chapter two, and Matthew Chapters one and two. I need the real voice of Christmas speaking to me. I want to be reminded again of what's good, right, and truthful.

I'm not having a Charlie Brown moment. I already know what Christmas is all about. I just need time to filter out the junk.