Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sorry, Charlie

It was the best of books, it was the worst of books. And I've given up on it. I admit it... I just don't understand "A Tale of Two Cities." I've been picking away at it since sometime in January, and I finally admitted to myself that I'm not going to get through it anytime soon. I had an easier time with Shakespeare back in High School. There are a few breakthrough moments where Mr. Dickens' writings cause my jaw to hit the floor... the poetry and prose are just that good. But I'll be doggoned if I understand a word of it.

So, I'm back to reading my favorite classic, "To Kill a Mockingbird." I vowed I would read four classic books this year. I don't recall absolutely stating they would be four classics I'd never read before. Although, I suppose that was the intent .

Here it is the first week in June, and I'm finally on track again with my New Year's Resolutions. By now, I had hoped to have reached my weight goals, have surpassed my expectations by having read 12 or more classics, and be well on my way to reaching the other two unspokens. How's that working for me? Not so good! By the first of the month, I was one pound over my 2011 beginning weight, and Mr. Dickens seemed to have me permanently stuck on book #4 for eternity. But you know what? I feel renewed. Maybe it's a sense of frustration, or maybe it's just the break in the weather. I finally feel "on track."

I've lost 5 pounds this week, and actually feel the confidence that I can get my eating habits back on the track I strayed from. Believe me, I can tell when my self-confidence is waning, and when it's at its peak. I finished up my internship for ministerial ordination, and I'm off to Church Leadership School for a week starting tomorrow: Both part of my two aforementioned unspoken resolutions.

So, time will tell. Check back in September and we'll see how it goes.

Does anyone have a copy of War and Peace?