Monday, February 7, 2011

E.T. Phone Home... Now!

It's official... I've become an alien on my own planet.

It's no surprise, really. The Bible says we are aliens and strangers in this world. I just didn't think that the truth of it all would hit me as hard as it did this morning. As I was getting ready for work, I watched in disgust as the Today Show promoted the newest hot song among young people, called "F--- You." Yes, they promoted it. There's a stark difference between reporting and outright promotion. The so-called singer of this monster hit said he allows his ten-year old to listen to the song, but he's not allowed to say the word. Please spare me. If it's not okay for the kid, why is it okay for Dad? There's no shame there. What a double standard.

I don't understand a world that promotes and celebrates that kind of garbage. I don't understand a world that thinks the Faith Hill Superbowl commercial was even remotely funny. I don't understand why it's offensive to air a commercial that might cause someone to open a Bible and hear a truth. I just don't understand the world I live in anymore. Sure, some back in the 1950's were offended by the music of Elvis. I get that. But there's a stark difference between Elvis Presley singing, "I Love You, I Need You, I Want You," and Kid Rock or Eminem giving us the disgusting details.

I guess that's why John wrote,
"We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one" (I John 5:19). I, for one need that assurance that God is still in control, and He will still have the final word.

And I won't be ashamed to listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment