Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I Don't Miss My Addiction

It's been more than 3 weeks since I swore off Facebook. I've only been on to check the church site, and once changed my profile picture to support Chik-Fil-A Appreciation Day. Other than that, I've kept to my vow to remain Facebook free for 30 days, and then decide where to go from there.

No need to wait. I've made up my mind. In the last 23 days I have:

-Slept better
-Read two books
-Finished my work early
-Spent more time with my son
-Lost 7 pounds
-Endured less stress about trivial matters
-Felt no need to let the whole online world know I just had a pancake for breakfast

I once had a dentist tell me that if you can get used to flossing for two straight weeks, you will make it a habit. I suppose that's true for just about anything you want to accomplish. Being without Facebook for over three weeks has been an absolute joy. No doubt, the first week or so was tough, but looking back now I can hardly believe how much time I was wasting and mental energy I was expending. I was truly trapped, and that's a very hard thing to admit. 

So I'm done with Facebook. And it feels good. God has taught me that I can accomplish a lot more on my knees talking to Him than arguing with the world from a keyboard.

The world will just have to assume I'm having pancakes for breakfast. And they're probably right.