Sunday, July 22, 2012

Why I'm Leaving Facebook

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." - Philippians 4:8


I've had enough.


There comes a point when you just have to walk away, and that time has come. I'm walking away from Facebook and all of its drama, lies, misunderstandings and time-wasting activities. As much as I have enjoyed meeting up and keeping in touch with old friends, making new ones and even touching base with famous celebrities, I've found myself more frustrated and increasingly angry with what I see.


I've come to believe that as useful as social networking is, it has become twice as dangerous. Ideas are exchanged, half-truths and outright lies are wrapped up in cute little packages and circulated around the globe, and we've become a people that turn to the opinions of people we hardly know to shape our sense of truth and morality. God is lost in the mix. The new morality has become, "Truth can be whatever makes me happy. So your truth can be yours, and mine is mine." There's no more black and white. The line between right and wrong has become more than muddled... it has been erased.


I'd like to believe the best of people, but too many of us are putting everything out there for the world to see. Quite frankly, there are things I'd just rather not know. I've made friends and lost them because of the power of a few words tapped out on a keyboard. We have forgotten how to communicate. Try to share a truth with love and respect, and you're likely to be called every name in the book... and then some. Oh, it's so much easier to criticize when you don't have to look someone in the eye. Trouble is, that sort of behavior gets into your heart and becomes a part of you. And I don't like what Facebook is doing to me.


Facebook is making me sad. Just sad. It has left me lonely, hurt, and in physical pain as I see just how far we've fallen as a people. You may think I'm taking this thing too far... but I love God and I love His people with all my heart. And to see what's being said, posted, told and believed in cyberspace is breaking my heart every time I log on.


For the next 30 days, I won't be on Facebook, other than to update the church FB page and events pages. It's my hope that a 30 day Facebook fast will lead to a permanent one. We'll see. If God so chooses, He can heal my heart and strengthen me to the point that I can return. But right now, anything that hinders my relationship with Him has got to go. Facebook is number one on that list.