Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Re-Inventing God

I didn't sleep much Friday night. I was extremely troubled and upset by a Facebook rant from a young lady who was part of my Youth Group a few years ago. She posted her opinion that there's "nothing wrong" with two members of the same sex "loving" each other and having sex. She went on to say, "If you don't like it, then you can go to f---ing hell!"

Lovely. And they call me a hater.

Listen, I'm NOT here to debate homosexuality. Repeatedly in His word, God calls it a sin that leads to death. He didn't leave room for debate. Yet that's the problem. So many people today including Christians, are trying to re-shape God into who they want Him to be, rather than who God wants them to be. I'm tired of hearing, "Well, I don't think God would do this," or "A loving God would never do that... not my God!"

Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what you or I think. What matters is what His word says. Read the historical account of Israel in the book of Exodus. When they followed God's laws, the country prospered. When they ignored Him, trouble followed. It's a simple formula, really. But somehow we've reversed the roles. We want to play God, and mold Him into our image. We accept that what television, radio, the internet, our friends, books or magazines tell us is all okay. Just shack up instead of getting married. Hey, party like a rock star... you've worked hard all week. Get your girlfriend pregnant and then leave. It's her problem, not yours. Smoke 'em if you got 'em! We'll just reshape our opinions of God so it matches our lifestyles.

Please. God gives us a clear choice. Psalms 50:14-17 says, “Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High, and call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.” But to the wicked person, God says: “What right have you to recite my laws or take my covenant on your lips? You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you."

Have we forgotten that God is about love? He's a just God. He rewards those who earnestly seek them. And because He is a just God, He won't allow unbridled sin to go unpunished. Seems pretty fair to me.

What really bothers me is that in the name of reshaping God's law to suit her own beliefs, this young lady has become embittered and angry. Conversely, it's what also drives protesters in the name of Christianity to hold up placards and angrily shout, "God hates you!" Both are absolutely, completely, 100% wrong. Hatred only breeds more hatred. Re-inventing scripture plays right into the hands of the enemy. A correct interpretation of the Bible re-shapes our hearts toward caring , praying for, and loving each other.

I fell asleep crying and praying for that young lady and her friends. Why? Because I believe Jesus cries for her, too. I pray for my friends (yes, I said friends) who are caught up in wordly beliefs that lead away from the cross, because I love them.

Sorry if you think that makes me a hater.