Thursday, September 1, 2011

One Resolution Fulfilled

I've managed to surpass one of my New Year's Resolutions, thanks to my new "Nook." I am by no means convinced that my new e-reader will replace my love of holding a new book in my hands, but it's convenient for downloading free classics that I can read at my leisure, without the worry of overdue book fines from the library. Come to think of it, it's been about 10 years since I've checked a book out of a library.

But I digress. One of my New Year's Resolutions was to read four classics. I burned through the first three right away, reading "Of Mice and Men," "Farenheit 451" and "The Grapes of Wrath" by February. It was "A Tale of Two Cities" that got me stuck. I don't think I reached the halfway point before I gave up. I just... don't... get it. Anyway, "Pride and Prejudice" and Bram Stroker's "Dracula" came free with the Nook. So, I read 'em both, and downloaded "The Time Machine" for kicks. I just finished that one this afternoon. Six classics in 8 months... not bad at all.

I'm sure (especially with the formal prose of P&P) that the authors exaggerated the language and mannerisms of the day, but I couldn't help but to be taken with the sense of manners, common courtesy and maturity of the characters. Even in the bloodthirsty "Dracula," the author assumed that the reader was well acquainted with scriptures, borrowing heavily from Bible passages to drive home a point.

In many ways, I'm glad we're not that formal and stuffy anymore. But I sure wish the values of courtesy and good manners would return. It's nice to be able to escape to that forgotten world, if only for an hour or so at a time.

Now. What are those "Little Women" up to?