Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I'm Diggin' on the Music

Pastor Rick Warren wrote in "The Purpose Driven Life" that there is no Christian music... just Christian lyrics. He and I may part company once in a while, but I have to say he nailed that one correctly. God created music... and all that the enemy can do is imitate and mock what God has made. So he takes the beautiful created music God gave us and turns it into trash. That's why I've always been so grateful for Christian artists who aren't afraid to step out of the boat and take back what the enemy has tried to steal.

But lately, I've even been bored with Christian radio. Every couple weeks I get a music survey from KLOVE, and frankly I haven't been able to rate many songs above a "3" on their scale of 1-5. Even a long-time favorite artist of mine has had two poor projects in a row, followed by extremely disappointing concerts.

But now... well, it seems the tide has turned in this listener's direction. Peter Furler, former front man from the Newsboys is back with a single, "Reach" and a new solo project coming out this summer. Kudos to Peter for taking a break, regrouping, and coming back refreshed. Laura Story's new ballad "Blessings" is theologically sound and encouraging to anyone who has been going through a trial. That's pretty much all of us, isn't it?

Chris August. What can I say about 70 X 7, except this - Chris, are you the one who stole my old home movies? I've been wondering for 20 years where they were. It's like the guy had a hidden camera in my house. If your growing up years weren't all that they should have been, this song about forgiveness will pierce your heart. If it doesn't, you may not have one. I didn't care for "Starry Night," but he sure redeemed himself with this song. Congratulations.

And then there's Sidewalk Prophets. I could never get enough of "The Words I Would Say," but I wouldn't be surprised if "You Love Me Anyway" surpasses their previous success. It's a powerful video, too.

And so it's good to give out some "5's" on the music survey now and again. I'm just looking forward to the day that "This is the Stuff" drops off the radar.

I'm tired of pressing "1."