Thursday, February 17, 2011

Back in My Day, Sonny...


I've become an "Old Fogey" before my time.

Admittedly, I've often joked that I was born in the wrong generation, even though I know that God has purposed me to be here "for such a time as this." In many ways, it's an exciting time to be alive. But I find myself increasingly frustrated as I try to live out my values in a postmodern society where anything goes. Stand up for values that are clearly based on scripture, and you're called intolerant, or worse yet - you're unfairly labeled a hater. I can tell a teen or a 20-something that the sky is blue, and they'll argue that it's red, because red makes them happier. Truth can be whatever makes them content... truth can be whatever they want it to be. Two plus two can equal five, as long as that's what you want. Wouldn't want to offend you by insisting that the answer is really four.

I long to escape to a simpler time. My man-cave is my sanctuary, filled with old radios, a Victrola, Edison Amberola, and reminders of a bygone day when values meant something. I long for an era that passed by before I was born! The raciest thing on the air was Jack Benny. It was the time when Lucy couldn't say "pregnant" on her television show. Not only can you now say it on TV, they'll show you the steps it takes to get that way.

But I know I can't escape permanently. Nor should I. James 1:2 says, "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy." (NLT). What a strange way of thinking. But the Bible always has turned conventional wisdom of the 21st Century upside down while giving it a good shake. If Christ suffered for his faith and for standing up for what's right, then I can give 1/1000,000th of what he did. The fact is, Christians have a job to do, and we can't run or back down from truth. In our "can't we all get along?" world we have to own up to the fact that no, we're not all going to get along. Not as long as there is sin and deception running rampant. But we can respond to a deceived and broken world as Christ did... with the truth, and in love.

As long as I have my man cave to run home to, I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment